King's Church started in 1974, with five people meeting in a basement. Today, it is one church with four venues in 1066 Country, and we regularly welcome over 500 people across our Sunday meetings.
King’s Church started in 1974, with five people meeting in a basement. At the time, it was called Hastings Christian Fellowship and was led by Don Smith (who later also founded King’s Church Eastbourne) and John Groves (now one of the leaders at Hope Church Winchester — John’s website can be found here). It quickly began to grow and the leaders developed a close working relationship with Terry Virgo, the founder of a family of churches called Newfrontiers, and we became one of the first churches to join Newfrontiers.
In the early 1990s, under John’s leadership and God’s prompting, the church bought a large building – a former indoor cricket ground called Boundaries – set in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty opposite the Conquest Hospital on The Ridge in Hastings.
Since those small beginnings, a lot has changed! We’re now King’s Church, led by Paul Mann, and we regularly attract over 500 people to our Sunday meetings. The building we purchased in 1992 is now called the Hastings Centre and in 2013 underwent a massive refurbishment, enabling us to extend our children’s groups, open our own coffee shop and use this fantastic facility to both grow as a church and to bless our local community. We are very excited about all that God has in store for us in the future.